Tuesday, February 21, 2006

How to Stop Smoking

Today I'd like to share some useful advice on how to stop smoking.

We can thank a registered nurse named Linda for sharing this one.

Linda quit smoking seven years ago, thanks to the technique you're about to read.
Chet, here's what people need to do to subdue a nicotine fit and thus stop smoking:

Take a long slow deep breath and exhale slowly.

Repeat this a few times.

While doing this breathing exercise, think of something you really like, such as a person, a place, or a favorite memory.

In a couple of minutes the nicotine fit should be gone.

After doing this exercise, you need to do something physical. A simple task, like taking out the garbage or cleaning out a drawer, will do just fine.

If you are persistent with the steps above, gradually your nicotine fits will decline in severity and frequency.

Once in a while I have mild cravings for a cigarette. I continue to use this breathing exercise and I tell myself I will have to start all over again if I have one puff.
Now, that's a "how to stop smoking" technique that anyone can put to use.

And it won't cost you a dime.

Thanks again to Linda for sharing this one.

If you have a stop smoking technique you'd like to share, click on the comment link below and start typing.

Chet Day
Editor, The Natural Health Circus
http://chetday.com

3 comments:

  1. I quit smoking by using hypnosis. I think in part it was successful because more of me wanted to stop smoking than not. It was very close, though--about 50.1% wanted to stop and 49.9% didn't.

    One of the suggestions the hypnotist gave me was to counter the hand to mouth habit smokers have with drinking a low-calorie beverage. I didn't want to trade addictions, as it were, so I opted to drink water. I smoked more than a pack a day by the time I saw the hypnotist, but I smoked a pack a day (20 cigarettes) for years. In the first three weeks, I drank an average of 17 glasses of water a day, nearly one for every "must have" cigarette.

    There was a horrendous flu/bug thing making the rounds, and I worked with the public, so I had plenty of opportunities to get it. I never did, though, probably because I was too busy making a beeline for the restroom those first few weeks. All that water washed everything out of my system before it had time to take hold!

    I still drink a lot of water, a carryover from those early nonsmoking days. It's been 17 years now since I had a cigarette. I know that even now, my next cigarette is an arm's length away.

    Deep breathing as Linda suggested really helps, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The use of tobacco products may be the Nation's most critical public health problem. It is, in fact, addiction to nicotine that is at the root of this enormous health, social, and financial burden. An improved overall understanding of addiction, coupled with the identification of nicotine as an addictive drug, has been instrumental in the development of medications and behavioral treatments for nicotine addiction. In essence, science-driven treatment development has provided to consumers the option to easily purchase effective treatments, such as the nicotine patch and nicotine gum, in their local drugstores and supermarkets. Science has also shown that treating addiction with medications alone is not nearly as effective as when the medication is coupled with a behavioral approach. While we have made substantial progress in developing both pharmacological and behavioral treatments that have proven effective for many people, much more remains to be done.

    Few Useful websites to help you out from nicotine addiction:
    http://smoking.drugabuse.gov/
    www.cdc.gov/tobacco/how2quit.htm
    http://www.stop-smoking-tips.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am on day six of quitting smoking. I have been drinking alot of lemon and honey in water warm enough to melt the honey. It makes me feel better and it keeps me from putting food in my mouth. I do alot of deep breathing, I soak in the tub alot and take ginger detox baths. I have a VERY supportive family and everyone at work is so encouraging also. One of the owners even came into my office to tell me how proud of me he was and to keep up the good work cause he new it was tough. I told one person at work and I guess it traveled quick.

    ReplyDelete