Wednesday, February 04, 2009

How to Refocus Your Thoughts

Today I'd like to share an excellent technique you can use to refocus your thoughts any time you want to.

In these crazy days of economic bailouts for the rich and powerful while the rest of us struggle to keep our heads above water, being able to change negative thoughts to positive thoughts is an important skill to have.

Well, in today's blog entry, I'm going to show you precisely how to develop that important survival skill by sharing a few paragraphs from one of my favorite self-help books...

HOW TO REFOCUS YOUR THOUGHTS

By Patrick J. Ryan
Excerpted from Five Steps to Personal Power

For the next three weeks, try the following.

Whenever you have a choice in a personal situation (and you always do have a choice), consciously assume that the situation is in your control rather than control being located in an external source; take a proactive, solution-centered posture rather than a reactive, problem-centered one.

This can be accomplished by turning your normal thought patterns on their head.

Whenever you catch yourself thinking "she (he, it, they) did this to me," consciously change the statement to "I did this to me."

Instead of moaning helplessly, "Why won't they give me a raise?" ask, "What needs accomplishing around here, and how can I contribute?"

Rather than the unproductively negative question, "What is wrong with this relationship?" substitute the more positive, generous response, "What can I give to this relationship?"

Try to be vigilant and catch every instance of disempowering thinking, and change each one into a more empowering thought focused on your assuming total responsibility for the particular situation.

Even if you are unconvinced that this can work for you, try it: you have nothing to lose but your powerlessness.

Three weeks is enough to convince most people that taking responsibility works.
I choose to take responsibility.
This above statement is the first, and most important, principle of empowerment. Without it, empowerment simply can't happen.

Note from Chet
Professor Patrick J. Ryan is the author of Five Steps to Personal Power.

You can use the simple and effective techniques in Professor Ryan's book to take charge of your life.

If you're bored with your life, unhappy, not earning enough money, and ready to either hang it up or make empowering changes, Patrick Ryan will teach you effective techniques that work.

That's it for today.

Chet "I Know How to Refocus My Thoughts" Day
Editor, The Natural Health Circus
http://chetday.com/blog

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Chet, I really needed that!
    Our thoughts indeed are extremely powerful! I have been trying to change my inner voice all throughout these disturbing political times.
    I am in the process of reading the book, "The Answer: Grow Any Business, Achieve Financial Freedom, and Live an Extraordinary Life" by John Assaraf and Murray Smith (of "The Answer").
    Very profound! It applies to all aspects of our lives as well as business.

    ReplyDelete