Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Just Laugh for Health

A few years ago I received an email from a subscriber who wanted off my Health & Beyond Weekly newsletter list.

A master of politeness, this guy wrote:
Remove me right now from your newsletter. It's filled with too much nonsense and conversation and not enough helpful hints. Much of the info is repeated, and there is no need for your stupid jokes and lame attempts at being funny.
Don't you love it?

"No need for jokes."

How would you like to be married to this guy?

Wouldn't he be fun to carpool with?

You won't find him in the Tonight Show audience, I betcha.

No need for jokes?

I mean, seriously, how can a person get through life without fun and jokes?

During the thirty-three years my wife and I have been together, for example, we've had our share of rough patches.

My wife survived major cancer surgery back in 1990 before we knew anything about health.

We've lived through a $17,000 house fire that destroyed the back bathroom and covered everything we owned in every room in our home, including the attic, with a layer of soot.

Two years later, we had to handle $20,000 worth of flood damages three weeks before we closed on the sale of our New Orleans' home to move to Florida to take a job that turned out to be a financial disaster.

I could add more to the list, but the above are the biggies.

And compared to a lot of people our lives have been a gentle breeze.

Nonetheless, I don't know if I could have made it through flood, fire, and a loved one's major cancer surgery if I hadn't had a good laugh to fall back on at least three or four times a day during those hard patches.

Well, with memories of those problems and how laughter had helped me get through them, I started a long email to give Mr. Keep-a-Stiff-Upper-Lip Who Wanted to be Removed from the H&B Weekly List a number of helpful hints about how to develop a sense of humor.

Then I came to my senses and remembered some of my own advice about avoiding conflict when possible and decided not to get involved in a potential energy sink.

So I removed this fellow's email address from the subscriber list, politely informed him that I had done so, and that was that.

The point of all this is that I consider laughter and fun to be absolutely essential to human health.

Honestly, if you don't laugh aloud at least a few times each day, you need to make some changes somewhere, I'll tell you that for sure.

Not only is laughter good for oxygenating the bloodstream, but it also floods your system with feel-good hormones.

And it makes others feel happy too, when they hear a hearty laugh.

So stop picking your nose right now and instead let loose with a hearty laugh!

Chet Day
Editor, The Natural Health Circus
http://chetday.com

3 comments:

  1. I love it. I doubt if I would have made it through my last 50 years if I hadn't learned to have a healthy sense of humor. My life is often way too serious, and much too complicated. Thank God I have friends who remind me to laugh...

    So, have you heard the one about....

    ReplyDelete
  2. laughing is so important i totally agree! i have a friend at work who lost her husband a couple of years ago but despite this terrible misfortune she is so positive. i admire her attitude to life and i'm convinced her positive vibes bounce around our office and make a real difference to the day. i remember when i asked her about how difficult her husband's passing was she said "well put it this way, if he hadn't died himself i'd have killed him by now anyway". she was grinning but i knew there was a hint of sadness and grief underneath. her character and her attitude has helped her to heal. if anyone is having problems, big or small, please take a chapter out of this woman's book - you'll be happier for it :-)

    chris

    p.s. great site, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor chap, you have to feel sorry for someone who has to have his say but won't "listen" to anyone else. He sounds like Mr. Angry to me. Anyway, Chet, I LOVE your way with words and I look forward to reading my daily email from you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete