Friday, October 06, 2006

Carrot Raisin Oatmeal Cookies

Here's my favorite recipe for healthy carrot raisin oatmeal cookies that I learned many years ago from a fellow named Gerald Pedersen. Because this is an extremely healthy oatmeal cookie recipe, sugar addicts and sweet cookie connoiseurs will probably not go as hog wild over these treats as I do.

But, hey, that's tough toenails, right?

Anyway, I love this recipe, and I cook up a batch every month or two.

Gerald's Carrot Raisin Oatmeal Cookies

4 oz prunes
3 Tbs water
3/4 cup honey
1 1/2 cup shredded carrots
2/3 cup raisins
2 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 cup oats
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
Pecan halves

Puree prunes with the water in a food processor until smooth. Place in a mixing bowl. Stir in honey, carrots, and raisins. Add remaining ingredients except pecan halves. Mix well. Drop spoonfuls of dough on a greased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly. Press a pecan half in the center of each cookie. Bake at 275F degrees for 15 minutes or until set and just starting to brown. Remove to cooling racks. Makes three dozen.

If you have a healthy cookie recipe you'd like to share, use the comment link below, please.

And if you want to subscribe to my free cookie recipe newsletter (which features a healthy cookie recipe as well as a traditional cookie recipe each week), click here and join the fun.

Chet "Cookie Man" Day
Editor, The Natural Health Circus
http://chetday.com

7 comments:

  1. On your french onion soup try half sherry and half white wine. Also season your crouton with garlic powder, paprika, and liquid butter, (just a little). Then top it off with provolone instead of swiss. This makes a delightful bowl of french onion soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a susbtitute for the prunes? the idea of mashed prunes in my cookies makes me gag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prune paste (lekvar) is a traditional sweetener for baked goods in some cultures. It is naturally sweet and does not taste like prune juice or anything. It's really good! I suggest you try it. You might be surprised how much you like it.

      You could sub dates or raisins (soak for a while before pureeing)for the prunes--or try unsweetened applesauce (but it would lower the sweetness of the cookie and maybe be too liquid).

      Delete
  3. Anonymous: I haven't tried it, but I imagine that any soaked, pureed, dried fruit would be better than the prunes. How about dried peaches or apricots?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, prunes are really, really good this way. Try it. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.

    Chet

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used dried figs because I had no prunes. They needed a little more water to puree but the cookies turned out very good. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome recipe! I just made these and they came out great. Two things though: The oven setting seemed awfully low, so I raised it to 325 degrees and baked them for about 12 minutes. The lower cooking time may have also been a result of the fact that my batch yielded about 20 more cookies than expected...Yes they were small-ish, but I find that using rounded teaspoonfuls tends to make an appropriatey sized cookie.

    I had my father try a cookie once they were cooled and he suggested making them into snack-bars given their healthiness.

    ReplyDelete