Thursday, January 11, 2007

Nut Milk Recipes

I recently shared these nut milk recipes with readers of my healthy crockpot recipe newsletter, and the recipes are so good and healthy I'd want to share them with Natural Health Circus readers too. Apologies to those who get to read it twice. :)

This first nut milk recipe comes from EC...
Thanks for the Vita-Mix almond milk recipe. Almond milk is excellent.

You can do the same thing with peanuts and sunflower seeds for peanut or sunflower milk.

If you make peanut milk, try adding banana and honey, which is incredibly d'licious!
Personally, I've never tried peanut milk, but you can be sure that'll happen in the near future. My thought is to add a frozen banana (frozen without skin, of course) to the mix and end up with a banana shake. Whoa!

Now let me share the original almond milk recipe, eh?

This recipe could also be created in a good blender. It was contributed by Kathy J, and here it is...
Chet,

Take raw almonds (must be raw) and soak them in water for 1-12 hours. I put some in a little container, cover with water, and leave them in the refrigerator overnight.

The next morning, drain the almonds, put them in your Vita-Mix (or blender) with a little fresh water, and blend. By adjusting the amount of water, you can make it as thin or thick as you desire. You can use this "milk" in any recipe that calls for cow milk.

If you use a blender or want the almond milk quite thin, pour through several layers of cheese cloth. You can use the discarded almond pulp in cookies or whatever.
If you've never tried nut milks, I urge you to get off your duff and put an end to that omission because the stuff is simply delicious. And very, very healthy.

Oh, do me a favor. If you have a favorite nut milk recipe, share it with others by clicking on the comment link below. The good karma you'll generate by this act of kindness will be well worth your time and effort.

Chet "Nut Milk" Day
Editor, The Natural Health Circus
http://chetday.com

5 comments:

  1. I love nut milk! especially almond. Yummmmm! I like to add a touch of vanilla, some honey, bee pollen, ground flax seed, a dash of salt, and blend it all up with the soaked almonds, (I soak them overnight in distilled water). You can make it thick or thin and put it on anything you like. I like it over brown rice. I also simplyify the milk a bit and make a healthy green spinach or kale smoothie with the nut milk. It has almond milk, pineapple, blueberies, banana, honey, and something very green. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to try the almond milk, yumm! When I was breast feeding, a friend told me about "sesame milk" to help me produce more milk for my baby. It was delicious and did help me very much. It is done by putting one cup of sesame seeds in a blender and adding a small amount of water at first. Start blending until you get a thick, white paste and then add water little by little until you get the desired thickness. You can add brown sugar, vanilla or enjoy it by itself. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love almond milk (my version is quite similar to yours)! We've also just learned of a delicious pistachio milk recipe that looks great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any nut is really suitable for a nut milk recipe, the difference lies in the ammount of fat you want in your milk.
    Nevertheless this fat is "good" fat, or "good" Cholesterol, is really good for anyone, and specially for those who need a boost for their nervous system (add & adhd patients) to work sharper.
    I make my own as thick as possible (less water, like 2 cups of water per 1 cup of nuts), it is very important to try to use the purest water available, mineral water or natural spring water.
    I use coconut, hazel nut, and almonds, i've tried as well pistachio nuts and cashews, the outcome is more or less the same, you can either combine any nut you like (i don't recomend brazilian nuts because of their very high load of fat which make the process longer and the flavour is not that good), or you can make one nut milk, which is much more fun, you can make a jar of almonds for 3 days and hazelnuts for the next 3 and so on...
    With coconut you should also use the water inside the coconut, it is natural and very well naturally strained, but coconut has to be strained twice, besause it has a large quantity of fat, almost like some kind of butter, and of course you can use it for example to make some curry or something with fish, it's really delicious.
    Only mix it with natural honey, not maple or any other syrups, of course if you can get to some agave honey, it is the best sweetener ever, diabetics can use it without any problem.
    i don't recommend the use of bananas directly in the milk, try to keep the boisson as simple as possible, you can make some banana shake with the milk after you have your nutmilk jar, it's better that way.
    The use of vanilla is quite tasty and gives the milk a delicate and discrete flavour.
    Namaste

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought a blender and chucked in a handful of peanuts, a cup of hot water and about a dessert spoon of honey, blended it for a couple of minutes and strained it through a fine sieve. Hot, frothy peanut-flavoured milk.

    Utterly delicious, I am amazed. I couldn't stop drinking it.

    ReplyDelete