Monday, January 22, 2007

Sunflower Seed Cookies

I don't know about you, but I've loved cookies for as long as I can remember.

The problem, of course, with loving cookies is that most of them are packed with empty calories and just plain not very healthy for the human body.

Well, today I want to share a very healthy cookie recipe that I learned several years ago from Lydia, a reader of my free cookie newsletter...

Sunflower Seed Cookies


1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup tahini
1 1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled outs (not instant)
1/4 cup raw (not roasted) sunflower seeds
1/4 cup other nuts and/or seeds, mixed (My friend uses raisins and walnuts and then just sprinkles in some sesame seeds. I put a tablespoon each of sesame seed, pumpkin seed, millet, and pine nut.)

Preheat the oven to 350F and coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Set it aside. Place the maple syrup and tahini in a small mixing bowl, and cream them together. Then stir in the oats and sunflower seeds, and mix well.

Drop the dough by 12 rounded spoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet. Flatten each cookie slightly with the back of the spoon.

Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly browned. Let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for 5 full minutes. Then carefully loosen them and transfer them to a cooling rack using a metal spatula. Cool the cookies completely before storing them.

Yield: 2 dozen

Thanks to Lydia for sharing the great recipe. Be sure to give it a try!

Chet "Cookie Man" Day
Editor, The Natural Health Circus
http://chetday.com

1 comment:

  1. I tried your recipe, with some adaptations, and LOVED it! Here's my version: http://tinyurl.com/yeftqzg Thanks!

    ReplyDelete