Thursday, April 27, 2006

Natural Hiccup Cure

I've been collecting natural hiccup cures for years, and today I'll like to share a few of the more interesting ones with you.

When I was still teaching high school, if a student got the hiccups, I'd slowly meander my way over to where she was sitting. I'd then move behind her desk, reading a poem or leading a discussion or something, and would then bend down and yell, "Boo!" Believe me, the hiccups went away in a hurry.

A similar technique that works best with an adult male with the hiccups is to walk up to him and look him straight in the eye and then say, "I heard about you and my wife, and I don't like it one bit."

If it's a female friend or acquaintance of co-worker with the hiccups, approach them in the same serious manner and say, "I can't believe the boss fired you this morning."

Both of these techniques will stop hiccups faster than you can say, "I'll eat a bicycle seat."

Here's one I learned from Cecil, a reader of one of my free newsletters...
Reach back with your right hand and press your middle finger into your spine between the vertebra as far down as you can reach and hold for about a minute. The trick with all these remedies is to change the tension on the diaphragm muscle. So whether you are being scared or shocked or standing on your head or drinking water upside down or whatever, that is what makes it work.
Finally, I learned this one from the Internet: Go up to someone with the hiccups and say, "I'll give you ten dollars if you can hiccup again."

If you have a hiccup cure you'd like to share, use the comment link below and start typing.

Chet Day
Editor, The Natural Health Circus
http://chetday.com

9 comments:

  1. My foolproof hiccup cure is to get a small glass of water, bend over 90 degress at the waist and take a sip from the outer rim of the glass (the part of the glass farthest from you). Slowly swallow while still bent over, then stand up. Your hiccups will be gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter is the hiccupper in our family. She thought everyone got them, silly puppy!

    I can't find an email for ya, Chet, so would like to invite everyone to my weird health site, too...

    http://healthsass.blogspot.com

    Yes, I am Health's Ass. Someone has to be.

    Star

    ReplyDelete
  3. With regards to hiccups, in the nursing homes where I have worked, we would use a Q-Tip (or you can use your tongue) to tickle the roof of your mouth, at the back where the soft part begins. It works almost every time.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  4. my cure is you take a glass of water and then you cover it with a paper towel and down the glass. this has never failed with me and whenever my friends have the hiccups, i tell them this and it always works!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hate to bring you down, but i just tried all of these (except the peanut butter one) and none worked! i have one i learned at a bar when i had the hiccups and the bartender said a local drunk taught her this- take a cup of water and 2 straws. one goes in the water and one along the outside of the cut, put both in your mouth and drink as long and hard as you can. it just worked again for me after trying everything else. i promise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chet!

    You'll never believe my surefire way of getting rid of hiccups. I stand on my head! It works great! If you are not able to stand on your head, hang upsidedown off the edge of the bed...it will work too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ALL hiccup cures arre the same cure. (hehehe)

    http://frogstar.com/hiccup

    ReplyDelete
  8. whenever i get the hiccups i just eat a packet of sugar. it gets rid of them right away. i suppose it´s the same basic tip as the peanut butter but a little easier to swallow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best and easiest way is to get a glass of water and swallow tiny trickles of it even thru the next hiccup. Works every time. Have been doing it for years as I always get bad hiccups. Works for all family & friends too.

    ReplyDelete