Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Healthy Sandwiches

Today I'd like to share some recipes for healthy sandwiches. Let's start with...

Susan's Peanut Butter and Tomato Delight
Chet, my Dad taught us to love tomatoes and peanut butter sandwiches when I was a girl and never in my life have I heard of anybody else eating it. I have tried to get people to try it and they do give you that look like you have to be nuts to put tomatoes and peanut butter together, but it really is an odd combination that tastes wonderful.
I tried Susan's suggestion, and she's right. It's a great sandwich.

Speaking of tasty healthy sandwiches, here are a few more...

Laura's Veggie Sandwich

Hey, Chet, I have a favorite veggie sandwich that makes a good lunch:
Mash 1/2-1 avocado (sometimes I squeeze in a little garlic with my garlic press and add a little celtic sea salt) and spread on two slices of bread, preferably whole grain, homemade is best.

Top with sliced tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, grated carrot, sliced cucumber, lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, and whatever other crunchy veggies I can find.

Put sandwich together and cut in half diagonally. Yum... and healthy!
Two Quickies From Barbara

Regarding peanut butter and banana sandwiches, my kids had two favorites:
Cut a "v" in a large banana and fill it with peanut butter for a healthy and delicious banana boat.
For another healthy "boat" we would...
Make tuna salad and put it in a leaf of Chinese cabbage, Boc Choy, or even a rolled Romaine lettuce leaf. This is an excellent protein sandwich with fewer carbs.
You can also fill a scooped out tomato with the tuna for a colorful, filling, and healthy lunch option.

If you have recipes for healthy sandwiches you'd like to share, please do so by clicking on the "comment" link below.

Chet Day
Editor, The Natural Health Circus
http://chetday.com

14 comments:

  1. Dear Chet,
    Thank you for posting great information. I went on a search for Millet and found your site. Your article was very interesting and I will share your website with others. It was refreshing to hear the purpose of phytic acid. I know so many women who are soaking this out of their grain, which I will not teach. Thank you for sharing great information.
    Theresa, Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for garden tomatoes so that I can start eating my peanut butter-tomato sandwiches. I have eaten them for most of my life. I started eating them instead of having a BLT. Peanut butter replaces the bacon and the mayo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ate my first peanut butter and tomato sandwich today. It won't be my last, believe me, it was gorgeous! They are a cheap way to feed children too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are wonderful recipes, Thanks Chet!! One of my favorites is cream cheese, sliced tomato, sliced cucumber, sprouts and garlic salt on some freshy toasted bread. It's a little messy but well worth the trouble. Keep up the great work!
    Lecia, San Antonio

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make "ALT" it's a "BLT" with avacado instead of bacon, yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chet,
    I can't believe I'm seeing this--someone else who eats peanut butter and tomato sandwiches! These are my favorite summer sandwiches. As far back as I can remember I've had them every summer with our fresh home grown tomatoes. Delicious!! My Mom and Grandmother ate them and passed the lunch idea down to me. Now I've passed it on to my daughter, who happens to love them too.
    Thanks for bringing us such good information. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is pretty basic, but for a whole winter i ate these nearly everyday.

    Use either multi-grain bread (toast it) or a multi-grain wrap.
    Slice avocado, tomatoe and roasted red peppers that you can buy in a jar. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cut on an angle so it looks deli-style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting about the tomato-PNB. Since we do not eat nightshade family, we use thick slices of fresh peaches with our PNB on oat-nut bread with a thick spread of cocoanut oil. Best when the peaches are real cold.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never tried pb and tomato. I have tried and liked pb and pickle.

    I like hummus spread on pita bread, you can add tomatoes, lettuce, greens.

    I also like using an olive spread as a filling.

    megan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, okay, I'll TRY peanut butter and tomato, since so many have raved about it.

    Here is a quick and easy sandwich:
    Two slices of whole wheat toast
    Spread w/ mayo and Dijon
    Lots of greens: leaf lettuce, spinach, romaine or whatever
    Thick slice of tomato
    Thick slice of avocado
    Sprinkle w/ Vege-Sal or Mrs. Dash or Spike

    A nice, hot sandwich:
    Mash leftover pinto or other beans, spread thickly on slice of whole-grain bread. Add diced onion and top w/ grated cheddar. Broil just until cheese melts. Spread 2nd slice of bread w/ mustard or vinagrette dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chet,
    Thanks to your site, I have lost 127 pounds. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chet,
    Here's a sandwich that'll rock your socks. Boil ramen noodles until ready. Let them marnate in the juices, then drain. While it's cooking, toast some bread. Put the noodles on the sanwich with some mushrooms, tomatoes, and whatever your heart desires.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here's my favorite sandwich: Peanut butter, dill pickle, and raw onion. Or just PB and pickle or PB and onion. De-lish!!

    My other favorite is strip, lettuce and tomato. With Morningstar Farms breakfast strips. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have been eating peanut butter and tomato sandwiches in our family for generations. I think it may be a midwest thing. I also havr a hard time convincing people to try it...delicious.

    ReplyDelete