Monday, March 13, 2006

Avocado Nutrition

Today I'd like to share a few words about one of my favorite health foods -- the simple avocado, a natural source of excellent nutrition.

The avocado is a mainstay in vegan and vegetarian health programs and rightfully so because, according to the California Avocado Commission...
  • Avocados provide more than 25 essential nutrients, including fiber, potassium, Vitamin E, B-vitamins, and folic acid.

  • One-fifth of a medium avocado or about one ounce is 55 calories, but contributes beneficial nutrients such as fiber, potassium, Vitamin E and lutein to the diet.

  • One-fifth of a medium avocado provides beneficial phytochemicals such as glutathione, beta-sitosterol, and lutein. Phytonutrients are thought to help prevent many chronic diseases.

  • Avocados act as a "nutrient booster" by enabling the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients, such as alpha- and beta-carotene as well as lutein, in foods that are eaten with the fruit.
Avocados digest easily when mixed with cooked or raw vegetables and also digest well with starches (like chips or whole grain bread).

I especially like to blend avocado with fruits like apple, mango, banana, and others for terrific smoothies.

And, hey, most of us misplace an avocado on occasion, so, the next time you have a rotten avocado, don't throw it out.

Instead, mash it up and put it in your dry hair. Cover with a plastic bag and wrap your head with a towel for a deep conditioning treatment. Leave on for 30 minutes or more, then shampoo.

Now that's using your head to get your money's worth out of avocado nutrition, eh?

Chet Day
Editor, The Natural Health Circus
http://chetday.com

5 comments:

  1. I love those creamy fruits, Chet! I shall try adding them to smoothies from now on, too. Before I throw the empty shells on the compost heap, I like to rub the inside of the shell on my elbows. They are the perfect shape for this and make the elbows nice and soft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have avoided avocados because I have heard so many times about how fattenig they are. I have since discovered that they are, in fact, healthy, and useful in losing weight when used in a "smart" diet! It's a shame that they have such a bad rep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore avocados and have been eating them voraciously since I was a child. My favorite was is to halve them, take out the pit and fill the center with shrimp or chicken salad, even just vinegrette (for you vegans) and of course as guacomole. It can't be beat!! They are high in fat though so I do try to watch the fat content in the rest of my meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    Avocados nutrition provide nearly 20 essential nutrients, including fiber, potassium, Vitamin E, B-vitamins and folic acid. It is surprisingly complete food, with fourteen minerals to stimulate growth, including iron and copper for your blood. Thanks a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far as weight loss goes, when you consume avocados, your body will get all the necessary nutrients that you require. Also, you will feel full, because these avocados contain a good amount of soluble and insoluble fiber.

    ReplyDelete