Sunday, March 26, 2006

Healthy Snacks

I'm going to publish an article about healthy snacks in this coming Wednesday's Health & Beyond Weekly, so I thought I'd also provide a good recipe here on the blog.

I learned about this healthy snack from Gerald Pedersen several years ago when he emailed me his recipe for...

Pineapple Bars

20 oz crushed pineapple
2 cups chopped dates
3 cups oats
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup favorite oil

Combine pineapple and dates in a saucepan. Cook on medium heat until thickened. Stir frequently. In a large bowl, mix oats, wheat germ, coconut, walnuts, and salt. Stir in juice and oil.

Press half of the oat mixture in a greased 9x13-inch pan. Spread the pineapple mixture on top, then sprinkle on the rest of the oat mixture. Press down lightly.

Bake at 350F degrees for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Cut into squares. Makes 32 healthy snacks.

I hope you'll take a few minutes to share your favorite healthy snack recipe with others. To do so, just click on the comment link below.

Chet Day
Editor, The Natural Health Circus
http://chetday.com

2 comments:

  1. I mix together no sugar added applesauce and plain non-fat yogurt for a bedtime snack. I call it my healthy pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy Snacks throughout the day is the answer !!! I work in a small machine shop with young people 20-30 years younger and I am able to basically run rings around them as they snack on chips, candy and the like. They insist that I must be taking a special drug and demand I share my secret with them. When I tell them the secret is knowing which foods to eat and which to avoid they become aggitated .They don't want to give up the junk and then they complain that I'm just trying to make them look bad. I say "hey....you young men should be able to show up a 52 year old woman......".That usually sends them slithering back to their machines where they will spend the rest of the day beating themselves up trying to match my production output. Gotta love it !!

    ReplyDelete