Friday, April 10, 2009

Homemade Vanilla!

by Josh Day

Today I'd like to share my homemade vanilla recipe.

1 pint of quality vodka
6-8 vanilla bean stalks

Remove 1 or 2 shots of vodka. Slice open each vanilla stalk lengthwise, exposing beans. Put stalks in vodka. Seal and let sit in a dark, dry place for two months.

And here's another vanilla recipe sent in by a reader:

"Hi, Chet. I've been making my own vanilla for more than ten years. I prefer the taste of brandy as the base and use the cheapest I can find. Then I add three vanilla beans sliced lengthwise and put the bottle away for a long while. In fact, I have a 1.75 liter bottle that must have 30-40 beans in it. I just keep adding brandy to that from the new jug and have a great quantity for cookies. In fact, a .75 or 1-liter bottle makes a great Christmas gift to a baker." - Diann F.

Josh "Vanilla" Day
Editor, The Natural Health Circus
http://chetday.com/blog

No comments:

Post a Comment